Pumpkin butter is a sweet (dairy-free) spread for bread, pancakes or muffins. It’s deliciously spiced and very easy to make. (We use those pumpkins that have been decorating our front steps!)
Bring a jar of pumpkin butter for the hostess at holiday gatherings. This is my own simple recipe and it makes about a gallon of pumpkin butter.
- 4 quarts freshly cooked pumpkin puree
- 3 cups apple juice
- 4 cups white sugar
- 4 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 Tablespoons cinnamon
- A few pinches of salt
- Combine and cook on the stove or in a roaster oven.
- Stir frequently as it simmers on low to medium.
- The pumpkin butter is finished when it is thick, dark and stays put when spooned into peaks.
- Divide into jars, leaving ¼ empty at the top.
- Label and freeze.